Here are some tips for applying for SSI to fund autism treatment:
1. Document how your child’s disability affects his or her ability to participate in the activities of daily life.
2. Have copies of your child’s medical records, evaluations, treatment plans, Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP), Individualized Education Program (IEP) and therapy reports readily available.
3. Compile the names and contact information for your child’s pediatrician, neurologist, therapists, teachers, social workers and case managers.
4. Obtain letters from medical professionals, therapists and service providers who are familiar with your child.
5. Keep copies of paycheck stubs, W-2s, income tax returns, utility bills, medical bills, therapy bills, insurance statements, rental contracts, mortgage statements, bank statements and other financial records.
6. When you visit a Social Security Administration office, arrive early and prepare for a wait.
7. Make sure you take copies of all necessary documents with you.
8. Take something to read, a crossword puzzle, a small craft project or some paperwork you need to complete with you to help you pass the time.
9. If you take your child with you, bring along a few favorite toys and/or books.Bring snacks for your child. Be prepared to step outside the office when your child wants to eat a snack because many Social Security Administration offices do not allow eating or drinking.
10. Keep a log that contains the name, contact information, date of contact and a summary of your conversations with Social Security Administration personnel.
Sphere: Related Content
Monday, July 28, 2008
- Mesa Angels Foundation Provides Financial Assistan...
- First Hand Foundation Helps Families Pay Their Chi...
- UnitedHealthcare Children’s Foundation Grants Prov...
- Tips for Applying for SSI to Fund Autism Treatment...
- Aubrey Rose Foundation Helps with Medical Bills fo...
- Building Blocks for Kids Foundation Offers Grants ...
- Family Stipends for Chicago Parents of Young Child...
- Disabled Children’s Relief Fund
- National Autism Association Offers a Helping Hand
- REACT Foundation Family Scholarships
- National Autism Association of Pennsylvania Helpin...
- ASCONN Mini-Grants
- Pennsylvania Autism Mini -Grant Program
- Autism Can End Grant Fund
- Autism Family Resources Grants
- ACT Today! Grant Program
- AutismCares Family Support Awards
- A.N.G.E.L. Inc. Autism Grants
- Bridges for Autism Foundation Grants
- FoggyRock is the Autism Community’s Answer to MySp...
- Funding Autism Treatment with Medicare
- Funding Autism Treatment with Social Security Disa...
- File an Appeal If Your Application for SSI is Deni...
- Funding Autism Treatment with Supplemental Securit...
- Confronting Discrimination Against Loved Ones Who ...
- Create an Autism Intervention Action Plan
- Welcome to Autism Assistance Resources and Informa...
- ▼ July (27)
Blogging for autism awareness? Join us.